HISTORY OF PLACER HILLS FIRE PROTECTION DISTRICT
In 1949 community members of Meadow Vista came
together through the Grange to create the Meadow Vista Fire
Department. The first truck was a 1934 Dodge bought in
1950. Through community fund raisers and donations the current
fire station site in Meadow Vista was purchased in 1953 and a new
Ford (fogger) truck was ordered.
In 1977 the engine bays at the Meadow Vista Fire
Station were built.
In 1979, Placer County established Company No. 31 at
the Weimar Institute to assist in the County contract with the
California Department of Forestry.
In 1980, members of the Applegate and Weimar
communities came together to develop Engine Company No. 31. In
1983, the fire station at Applegate was built by the community and
the County provided an engine and a water tender. John Velican
of Weimar provided an engine for the Ponderosa Fire Brigade.
In 1988 the Meadow Vista Fire Protection District,
Company No. 31 and the Ponderosa Fire Brigade annexed to become the
Placer Hills Fire Protection District.
With funding from the Placer County Board of
Supervisors, Placer Hills Fire Protection District built a new
station at Weimar Crossroads and purchased a new mini-pumper quick
attack engine in 1990. Also in the same year, the Fire Board
hired a part-time Fire Marshal to establish a fire prevention
program throughout the district. The Placer County Board of
Supervisors adopted Ordinance 4225-B, County Code Chapter 7.50
creating the legal authority for fire districts to collect fees in
order to mitigate the impacts of new development. The Placer
Hills Fire Protection District started collecting the Fire Facility
Fees in late 1990 and has been able to purchase and/or lease state
of the art firefighting engines and equipment.
To further enhance the fire protection of this
district, the Fire Board passed a Fire Suppression Benefit
Assessment in 1991 which provided daytime staffing during
weekdays. Placer Hills Fire Protection District started
providing non-transporting Advanced Life Support Services in
1997. The Fire Chief was hired full-time in June of 1999.
In 2000, community members Colleen Lewis and Bobby
Brown started the Fire Auxiliary which supports the activities of
the fire district.
In September 2001, the district staffed one engine
with a crew of two, 24 hours per day and an additional engine with 2
during work hours and fire season weekends. A year later, the
district increased staffing to 2 personnel 24 hours per day at both
the Meadow Vista and Weimar Fire Stations. The community
approved another Benefit Assessment of $49 in June 2004 to guarantee
The district runs a successful volunteer program and
in 2012 started a volunteer intern program for graduates of local
academies to fulfill their California State Firefighter 1
The district has a population of over 12,000, covers
an area of 34 square miles and has approximately 4,000
residences. The annual call volume is just under 1,000.
The insurance rating is a 5 or 8.
Population 12,000 people and approx.
Area Covered 34 Square Miles
5 / 8
#1 Meadow Vista (84)
#2 Applegate (85)
#3 Weimar (86)
Chief Kevin Wegener
Manager Gillian Lofrano
Rich Fulfer, Kress McKinney, Pat Nelson, Tim Robinson
Lieutenants: Tom Crago, Mitch Hoogendyk
Tess Clark, Dave McKinnon and Matt McCarthy
Approximately 20 part-time firefighters and 15 very active,
Click HERE to
view some Historic photos